Sunday, October 7, 2012

Year One Recapped

As I transitioned into my new year I needed to tell my story of last year... but where to start?? So I did what I do best.. I made a list.

This year I:
  • Lived in a house with 4 other women
  • Lived on $90 a month
  • Learned to be family with strangers
  • Was a minority for the first time
  • Rode busses, walked or biked everywhere including the grocery store
  • Gardened out of necessity
  • Lived in a room that used to the be the Laundry Room
  • Couponed a lot
  • Experienced poverty, violence and crime
  • Painted a mural
  • Fed the hungry
  • Watched 7 kids graduate high school that were told they would never live to 18
  • Marched in the nations largest MLK march
  • Lived and worked in two yellow houses
  • Attended a Bi-lingual church
  • Worked shorlty at a day care int eh projects
  • Took teenagers camping
  • Drove a stick shift successfully
  • Picked up trash
  • Made tamales from scratch
  • Traved to: New Mexico, Arizona, Colorado, New York, Tenessee and Mexico
  • Wrote grants
  • Learned to meditate
  • Read more of the Bible than ever before
  • Went RVing for the first time
  • Found God outside of the four walls
  • Slept whenever I could
  • Made new friends
  • Lost my grandmother
  • Played music everywhere
  • learned that basketball is just no my game
  • Went on a delegation to Mexio that changed my life
  • Fought for immigrant rights
  • Became well versed inteh DREAM Act
  • Built a labrynth
  • Learned Mandala meditation
  • Got a puppy
  • Fixed showers, mowers, doors, cars, stoves and toilets... to name a few
  • Spoke a whole of of Spanish
  • Found out that the best food is in the creepy places
  • Made friends with a cute elderly lady that come for food assisatnce
  • Experienced my first earthquake
  • Taught a confirmation class
  • Didn't watch TV
  • Got my butt pinched by lots of well meaning old ladies
  • Lived in the Barrio
  • Fed thanksgiving meal to over 600 people
  • Tie Dyed
  • Swam in public pools
  • Saw drug deals
  • Met gang members
  • Made hundreds of power points
  • Had moms tell me to quit serving PB and J
  • Saw a badger for the first time
  • Got my bike stolen
  • Learned that there will always be more growing to do
  • Found out that Sometimes the hardest people to love are the ones I can learn the most from
  • Saw that Mennonites are seriously awesome
  • Met other volunteers my age
  • Spent hours arguing with one roommate
  • Stopped holding people to my expectations
  • Learned to go with the flow
  • Adjusted to San Antonio time where 11 means 11:20
  • Lots of arts and crafts
  • Learned tha teenagers are the same everywhere, no matter what
  • Chopped down a tree
  • Crocheted over 20 hats
  • Finally got along with my roommate
  • Cooked all kinds of new foods
  • Found out that I will be judged because of the color of my skin
  • Found social justice to be my passion
  • Worked a food bank delivery day
  • Killed lots of cockroaches
  • Taugh a kid to fish
  • Re-learned algebra
  • Learned taht you must put cumin in everyhting
  • Called animal controll
  • Met kids who changed my life
  • Became a family with 4 women I woul dhave never even chosen to live with and will never forget because they are now my sisters
  • I joined a church
  • Finally heard my calling
  • Picked seminaryies
  • Laughed, cried, yelled was angry, sad, frustrated, enlightened, centered and every other emotion possible
But mostly this year I found myself, my God and my calling and no words can describe how greatful I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment